The St.Helens & Wigan Junction Railway. By D.J.Sweeney
Having made inroads into the Wigan area, the Manchester, Sheffiled, & Lincolnshire Railway now turned their attention to St. Helens which, from the inception of mainline railways had been totally dominated by the London & North Western Railway or its antecedents.
The idea of a new, independent railway, was first mooted in 1877, but it would be 23 years before the line from Lowton St. Mary’s to St. Helens was fully open, with many trials and tribulatuions along the way.
Originally proposed as the St. Helens & Wigan Junction Railway, it would become the Liverpool, St. Helens & South Lancashire Railway in 1889, the Great Central in 1906, passing into the hands of the London & North Easten at the Grouping and finally British Railways in 1948.
The history of the railway from its embryo stages, through the building period until the present day when only a fraction of it remains is covered in some detail
Over 140 illustrations, charts, O/S maps, diagrams etc.
120pp including colour sections
ISBN 978 0 9550030 6 6